Sunday, December 6, 2009

Don't call it a comeback?

I'm still reading the book, didn't get it til late this week. But there is a definite need for some "head-wrapping-around" time for this metaphor-laden piece of work. When reading through though, while I am impressed with some of the explanations McLuhan puts forth, I am a bit puzzled as to why he is popping back up. I googled "McLuhan blog" and for the most part, found some pretty recent posts asking about his message/massage, criticizing the book, and this pretty neat website which hasn't been updated in a year or so. I don't think I found a single reference to McLuhan in the links, but I feel like he would like the general setup and intent. But apparently this isn't all too new-- McLuhan was brought back into the public's view with a book about his life published in 1992. I found an interview with his son and the other authors of that book as they discussed in detail both some of the predictions that came true and for some reason Canada's ignoring of McLuhan. I like hearing about "how advanced" things were in '92-- it's crazy to think how far technologically we've come, and how small we've made the world with these advances. But anyways, McLuhan has been a hot topic of discussion for 17 years despite his passing; this "resurgence of awareness" that I've found on some sites really doesn't exist. Instead, I think it's just the fact that more people have access to his ideas now that we are so connected through the Internet, social networking, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment