Honestly, I think my experiment for this weekend fell flat on its face. I had the intention of going to the Giants game, adding as many updates about the plays as possible. I tried telling any of my friends who did not have access to a TV or radio to watch the game, to tune in to my Twitter account and see how it goes. Somewhere between the angry nearby fans yelling at me to get off my phone and watch the game, to the fact that I have like 3 friends who regularly use Twitter, I lost my drive to keep posting updates. I've found that as a fan, it's really hard to selflessly try to post update after update, if you are getting no enjoyment out of looking at your phone's screen for all 4 quarters.
However, I think that certain sports sites do it right, namely the U.S. Men's Soccer team, who hire employees to post on the twitterverse while the game is underway. Just look at the number of updates per minute, for the 90 minute duration of the sport with their last game against Denmark. I think these sites work, specifically because no one was airing this game live either on national television or on the radio. The fastest way, and more importantly the only real feasible way to see the results as they were underway was to sit on the team's page, and watch the tweets come in live while multitasking on the computer.
Digital Media Job
16 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment